There has been an increase in fitness awareness in the last few years, I don’t know if you noticed. People get more and more aware about their physical fitness, which is why they started investing in a healthier lifestyle. It’s good news considering that the rate of obesity has gone up in the last few decades.
Best Fitness Power Rack
14 Gauge 2 x 2 steel mainframe, 23 positions spread 3 inch
2 adjustable lift offs and full length safety bars included
Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage
800 lbs weight capacity for both cage and bench
19 adjustable height levels for the safety bars
Multi-position over head chin up/pull up grip bars
Titan Power Rack
700 lbs - HD J-hooks included - 2"x2" Steel Uprights
Opening: 44" - Depth: 48"
Floor space: 48" x 48" - Material: Steel
There is one issue, though. No matter how aware some people may be, there is no much time to go to a gym on a regular basis. Some have to go to work, some have kids and other responsibilities. Going to the gym I simply unachievable. That is why home gym equipment is an excellent idea. You can tend to all of your responsibilities and be fit at the same time.
People who are into bodybuilding can do it from home as long as they have the right equipment. Clearly, you cannot have an entire gym in your home, unless you have space and can afford to buy all kinds of stuff, but there are things you can buy and use in a variety of ways. Such a piece of equipment is the power rack. There are multiple exercises you can do with very few items.
The benefits of owning a power rack
A power rack will allow you to use free weights. I don’t know if you know this, but free weights are the best way to build muscle and strength. They can do for your body more than any other machine at the gym. I am not saying that machines are not useful, but free weights will always be better. Here are the reasons so many people prefer a power rack.
- It provides safety – when it comes to weightlifting, safety should always be the number one concern. There are multiple ways to get hurt. Accidents will get in the way of progress, and you don’t want that. All power racks are designed with safety spotter bars. They are the secret to a safe free weights lifting. Just make sure that you learn how to use them first, and only after that you can move on to lifting heavy weights. The most important thing that you need to make sure of is that the spotter bars will catch the weights if you accidentally drop them. Not all people use the bars because they think they are in control. However, their presence will give you a sense of security that will allow you to push yourself harder and harder.
- It is easy to use – when you are at the gym, all the weights are in their places, which is not the power rack. But because the power rack at home is only yours, you can leave the bar on the rack. That means you don’t have to lift it from the ground every time you want to exercise. Take squats, for example. You need to get the weight off the ground, put it in place on the rack, perform the number of squats you want, and then put it back on the ground. It puts a massive amount of pressure on your back. But with a power rack, the weight will always be in position. That way you can concentrate more on squats. It’s just as easy with overhead press and bench press.
- It’s versatile – the number of exercises you can do on a power rack is huge. There are 7 core weight lifting exercises you can perform with the help of a power rack. You have squats, deadlifts, bench press, row, overhead press, pull-ups, and dips. If you like, you can even do hanging abs. So think about all the exercises I mentioned above, add their variations, and then you will see how many types of workouts you can do with a power rack. Pretty impressive, isn’t it?
Just like any other piece of equipment, a power rack has a few drawbacks as well. It isn’t all perfect and pretty.
- Space – a power rack will take a significant amount of space in your home. If you live in a small or medium apartment, I am sorry to tell you that your chance of installing a power rack is pretty low. Just make sure that you do all the measurements before making a purchase.
- Ceiling height – it’s a space issue, only that area doesn’t matter in this case. You can have a big house, but if the ceiling is low, there isn’t much you can do about it. Some people choose to install the power rack in the garage if that helps with anything.
- Cost – a high-quality power rack can be expensive. It can easily be a few hundreds of dollars. But just a quick tip, if you can’t afford high-quality, wait a little while longer until you do. Low-quality power racks are what get people into the hospital with broken bones. Just be careful, and don’t be cheap. It’s your safety, after all.
Things to consider before buying a power rack
Before purchasing a power rack, you need to think about a few aspects. Otherwise, you may end up with a product you cannot use. So here is what you need to consider.
- Make sure that you have plenty of space – the simplest way to figure that out is to take a tape measure and carry out the proper measurements. Don’t even think of making an approximation. You may fail miserably. Don’t forget about the ceiling. You need to have some space above the rack as well. Otherwise, how are you going to do chin-ups?
- Additional equipment – you may have enough space to fit a power rack, but do you have space for the extra equipment? You need plenty of free weights, especially as you evolve. You need a straight bar and a Z-bar as well. Do you have enough room for those? Think it over.
- Size – it differs from person to person, but you can usually get a power rack for women or for men. Make sure that the squat cage is big enough for you. Look at the specification before you make a decision.
- Stability – if you plan on using the top bar more often, then you need a power rack that has the option of anchoring to the floor. Not all racks have this feature, so decide what you need it for and then look for the right model.
- Ease of use – not all people can handle the adjustments, so analyze the model you want to see if the adjustability is easy to achieve. Or better yet, look at power racks reviews to see others’ experiences with a particular product.
What are the best power racks?
If you go to a fitness store or online, you will see that the offer for power racks is huge. There are so many models from so many manufacturers that you can easily get confused. To eliminate all that confusion, here are three of the best power racks I could find. I hope it helps.
Best Fitness Power Rack
The power rack from Best Fitness is one of the cheapest you will ever see that comes with such great quality. At that price, you wouldn’t expect to get something this good, but apparently, most of the people were wrong. Going through reviews, I noticed that everyone was skeptic about it, only to be surprised at the end.
This power rack is made of highly durable 14 gauge steel. The mainframe is 2 x 2, and it has 23 positions with 2 adjustable positions for your lift offs. It has a total capacity of 500 pounds, and the full-length safety bars are included in the package. The durable powder coat finish makes this rack very appealing. It would look lovely in any house.
One of the most impressive things about this power racks seems to be the user’s manual. It has clear and large illustrations that make it more of a book for dummies than a set of instructions. The legend will show every single piece in natural size so you can place the item on paper and see if they match. It is one of the best user’s manual ever created. It’s easy to set up something as long as the instructions are for dummies, isn’t it?
The one drawback with this power rack is its stability. For a beginner, this piece of equipment is perfect because he or she will not lift more than 350 pounds anytime soon. But I don’t think the rack will hold more. At least that is the overall impression. I am sure that people used the Best Fitness power rack at its full capacity and everything went fine. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Fitness Reality 810XLT Super Max Power Cage
The rack from Fitness Reality is somewhat better than the previous model. You can choose the version with or without a working bench, although I know that people prefer a particular kind of work bench. Both the power rack and the bench that comes with it (if you choose the version with the bench included) have a capacity of 800 pounds, which is bigger than the capacity of the previous model.
The size of this power racks is also larger and taller. There is a big walk-in space that provides easy side to side movement. The 2 by 2 inches frame is made of durable steel. There are two 3 and ¼ inches long chrome lock on the safety bars, and two 23 inches chrome dual mounted safety bars. As far as safety is concerned, this power rack is perfect. The rack has 19 adjustable height levels for the safety bars, and they are compatible with 7 feet Olympic bars.
The grip bars for the overhead chin-ups and pull-ups also have a multi-position feature. Keep in mind, though, that the package does not include the bar and the weight plates. You will have to buy those yourself, like with most power racks. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Titan Power Rack
Last, but not least, the power rack from Titan is a bit more expensive than the other two, but for the specifications it has, I think it’s a great deal. The quality-value ratio couldn’t be better. It has a capacity of 700 pounds and 2 by 2 inches steel uprights. The J-hooks are included in the package and are made of heavy-duty steel.
What you’ll appreciate is that the Titan comes with weight holders. Not only will the weights increase the stability of the rack, but you will be able to save space on storage. It has a wide walk-in design that will make movement from side to side very convenient. You will be able to perform a vast variety of exercise on this rack.
Installing this power rack is very easy. As long as you can figure out how to hold up the uprights, the whole thing is a one-man job. If not, you should call someone to help you. But you shouldn’t have issues with it. The construction is strong, and you can see clearly that the power rack is stable. It won’t wobble, and it will provide the safety you need. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Honestly, making a choice from three great power racks is not as easy as you may thing. However, taking into consideration all the features, safety, and durability, I will go with the Titan Power Rack. Judging by all the things I mentioned and the fact that is one of the most popular racks makes me believe that this is one of the best power racks in this price range.
To be honest, people who invest time and energy in working out at home deserve a round of applause. The level of self-discipline is very high, and the commitment is something to be appreciated. Buying a power rack is a great start, which is why I recommend you buy one. That, of course, if you don’t have time to go to a gym. Click here to buy on Amazon